WIld onions

Appalachickens

Songster
Dec 19, 2020
East Tennessee
Okay, this is probably a silly question, but the place we've cleared to build a chicken coop has a fair number of wild onions growing in it. I've read it's best not to feed chickens onions. Would it make sense for me to dig those out or is it not a problem if the chickens eat them?

Not sure on the effects of the chickens do it them or if they even will. But If you do dig them up and your concerned about the chickens eating them, keep an eye on the spot and make sure they don’t come back. I’ve heard that some wild plants like that can be pretty resilient. You think you’ve dug em all up and then you turn around and they’ve come back!

Not sure on the effects of the chickens do it them or if they even will. But If you do dig them up and your concerned about the chickens eating them, keep an eye on the spot and make sure they don’t come back. I’ve heard that some wild plants like that can be pretty resilient. You think you’ve dug em all up and then you turn around and they’ve come back!
Oh yeah, they are persistent little things. They have little bulblets that detach so easily and re-grow. Probably would me a losing battle.

I did some reading, and what I’m seeing is that it’s safe for chickens to have onion. In fact it’s pretty healthy for them, good for their colon, bones, glucose levels, and reducing inflammation. so I guess it’s pretty lucky to have some growing naturally for them!

I did some reading, and what I’m seeing is that it’s safe for chickens to have onion. In fact it’s pretty healthy for them, good for their colon, bones, glucose levels, and reducing inflammation. so I guess it’s pretty lucky to have some growing naturally for them!
So it doesn't make their eggs onion-y? If not, I'll leave them.

So it doesn't make their eggs onion-y? If not, I'll leave them.
I wouldn’t think it would be a noticeable change in flavor, I have some dried herb and fruit mixes, smell amazing with a super strong aroma, that I give my ducks sometimes, it says it will add flavor to the eggs, but I don’t really notice much of a difference. It’s really hard to tell that an egg was laid after I gave them the herb mix or after the fruit mix.

Depends on where you read and who you believe. Thee are MANY places that say that onions are NOT good for chickens.

Personally, I would dig them up. Then chances are the chicken poop will eventually kill any that come back. Unless your run is gigantic, it will be nothing but dirt soon anyway. (Unless you are going to fill it with something.)

Sounds like Garlic Chives if they have bulbils on the green tip ! I don't know if chickens eat them but I do ! :droolTry cutting them, the green stems up in quarter inch pieces and mixing in a tablespoon with egg salad . I have them here in Ohio and I know they grow in Tennessee Look them up!! and you will see they are great for you and me . 🍀

My chickens don't really touch onions - there are always onion scraps in the kitchen scraps I dump for the chickens, they don't touch them. They go through my garden and will tear up entire beds of onions with their feet [shaking my fist at you, chickens! :rant], but no signs of them eating the green tops or anything.

Back
Top Bottom