Wild Rabbit, ok to feed to my flock?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Jaygood787, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Jaygood787

Jaygood787 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2011
    Maine
    I just went rabbit hunting with a bunch of buddys and was able to score a bunch of meat. There are some not so choice peices that im not sure what to do with. Anybodyever feed rabbit meat to their birds? Also is Raw ok?

2. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I think raw meat would be okay for them, protein! I just wouldn't give them the bones.

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Mine eat raw venison when they get lucky. They don't eat the bones. I have to pick them up.

4. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    It will not hurt them but they (wild rabbits) are usually full of tapeworms which if they are will infect the birds.

5. kota1369

kota1369 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Quote:Agree with CH. Mine get all kinds of things. I have never seen them eat the bones and have not seen a carcuss I gave them look like they even tried to.
    Just this morning I heated up some rabbit caccatori and rice noodles. They went crazy for it! And when they got a hunk of hot italian sausage they ran through the yard like they had a worm. My rabbit is domestic not wild, so I do not worry about worms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by