Wild Turkey Eggs ~UPDATE~

Chick_in_Indiana

Songster
12 Years
Dec 14, 2007
NE Indiana
A friend came across a nest of wild turkey eggs that had been disturbed. He said one egg was out of the nest and another one had a small hole, like a peck from the outside. I candled them and they were clear. So I put them in the bator. Has anyone ever raised wild turkey?
I put the eggs in on Mothers Day and already I have 2 that are showing signs of life.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
We raise wild eastern turkeys and love them. They are the sweetest birds and can be raised to be wild or tame. If you imprint them by hatching naturally, they will eat out of your hands.

Jody

I have no ideas on how to raise wild turkeys but all I can say is good luck and keep us posted!
ya.gif

Raising Wild Turkeys should not be any different then raising any Heritage Turkey. The exception is that they fly a lot better.

The main reason behind restrictions, that some states have, is that they are native species. Rather then create a set of very complicated laws and regulations the raising of a native species is usually not allowed. Although there is some exceptions in every state for certain species if you get a permit.

Also many wild species don't have the resistance to a number of dieses that are in domesticated animals. When the wild animal is brought into contact the have a greater risk of getting those dieses and not surviving. The AG officials are afraid these dieses will mutate and effect domesticated animals. Most of these laws are in place to protect large scale farms and ranches.

It's funny that you mention hunting. My husband is into hunting what ever moves. I told him anything but my chickens. Anyways, we have a flock of wild turkies that roam in a field by the creek behind our house but they are too far way. He's hoping if these hatch we can use them for "bait" to get them in closer. Talk about illegal.
duc.gif

How did you make out with the turkey eggs? I just started some yesterday and have no idea how far a;long they are or if they will hatch. My husband scared th hen away while cutting wood. She did not come back for a long period of time so we put the eggs in an incubator.

Out of the 5 only 3 were fertile then 1 other one gave out but I still have 2 that are kicking around. They are due to hatch on the 8th, I think. After I put them in the incubator I saw movement on day 6. Have you candled them yet? The air pocket should give you a guesstment. Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom