Wild Turkey Problem?

DogAndCat36

Crowing
Mar 12, 2020
Northern Maine
So there is a flock of wild turkeys by my house, they nest in my neighbors yard who is just across from me (she doesn't mind the turkeys). Sometimes they get close to my house and recently they got brave enough to walk really close to my chicken coop. There is 3 males and around 20 or more females. So I was wondering. Will these turkeys hurt or kill my chickens? I don't mind them stealing food, we got plenty, but will they bully my chickens?
I also don't want to hurt the turkeys and fencing is not an option.

So there is a flock of wild turkeys by my house, they nest in my neighbors yard who is just across from me (she doesn't mind the turkeys). Sometimes they get close to my house and recently they got brave enough to walk really close to my chicken coop. There is 3 males and around 20 or more females. So I was wondering. Will these turkeys hurt or kill my chickens? I don't mind them stealing food, we got plenty, but will they bully my chickens?
I also don't want to hurt the turkeys and fencing is not an option.
Contact your local game warden or DNR agent for any recommendations that they can give you. The first concern is that they may bring a disease in and pass it along to your chickens. The second concern is that some of the jakes may try to breed your chicken hens which will not end well for your chickens.

Good luck.

The turkeys never get that close to my coop, and when the chickens are out, we've never had any interactions. Don't have any food for them out there, only have chicken feed in the coop and run.
Try posting on the turkey thread too.
Any wild bird can introduce mites or lice, but the cute songbirds are the culprits here.
Mary

Contact your local game warden or DNR agent for any recommendations that they can give you. The first concern is that they may bring a disease in and pass it along to your chickens. The second concern is that some of the jakes may try to breed your chicken hens which will not end well for your chickens.

Good luck.
Ok, I will contact the local game warden. Thanks.

The turkeys never get that close to my coop, and when the chickens are out, we've never had any interactions. Don't have any food for them out there, only have chicken feed in the coop and run.
Try posting on the turkey thread too.
Any wild bird can introduce mites or lice, but the cute songbirds are the culprits here.
Mary
Ok, I will keep the food in the coop. Thanks.

When we stopped feeding any treats outside of the coop/ run, we had many fewer visitors, especially fewer night visitors. Much better!
Mary
I only give my chickens treats in the coop. The only problem is that my father likes throwing out food to the wild animals. We live by the woods and my dad tells us to dump moldy food near the wood. I have seen many types of birds, coyotes, fishercats, rodents, foxes, birds of prey, quail, and of course turkeys, eating the food. :oops: I am going to talk to my father about this, thanks. :thumbsup

I rarely saw turkeys unless they were crossing the road (which I loved seeing 30 or more baby turkeys following the adults). They are very skittish around humans and never came close to my house, like Folly said.

I live in the woods and wild turkeys pass thru and sometimes roost on my farm many or every day of the week. My chickens also have free range of the farm. The turkeys don’t bother the chickens. Sometimes some chicken calls will make them curious and they’ll walk in to check things out. And my wife saw 2 gobblers have a standoff with one of my penned broodcocks. But there’s nothing about the turkeys’ presence that concerns me.

Gobblers on the roost in the woods like to gobble when my roosters crow up at the house. That’s a nice perk for turkey hunting. Lets me know when I’m setting up before daylight whether a gobbler roosted on property or not and where he’s at.

I have wild turkeys mingle with my flock occasionally with no ill effects. They pay little attention to each other. The chicken feed is inside the coop and out of reach of the turkeys.
I am a turkey hunter and welcome the sight and free entertainment.

I live in the woods and wild turkeys pass thru and sometimes roost on my farm many or every day of the week. My chickens also have free range of the farm. The turkeys don’t bother the chickens. Sometimes some chicken calls will make them curious and they’ll walk in to check things out. And my wife saw 2 gobblers have a standoff with one of my penned broodcocks. But there’s nothing about the turkeys’ presence that concerns me.

Gobblers on the roost in the woods like to gobble when my roosters crow up at the house. That’s a nice perk for turkey hunting. Lets me know when I’m setting up before daylight whether a gobbler roosted on property or not and where he’s at.
I have wild turkeys mingle with my flock occasionally with no ill effects. They pay little attention to each other. The chicken feed is inside the coop and out of reach of the turkeys.
I am a turkey hunter and welcome the sight and free entertainment.
Ok. Thanks. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom