wild turkey with severe sinusitus or airsacculitis

OK guys. Has anyone ever come out to find their turkey has blood everywhere ? Its coming from her mouth and sounds like its from the throat not the lungs. We are still battling 1 swollen cheek and she's gotten lazy from the long winter but eats poops and drinks. I boarded her at the vet for a week and since her car ride home has had a sore leg, but never to the point that she can't stand up until today. So her current condition is blood from her mouth with labouredbreathing however its not from her lungs. She isn't wheezing but she is panting and has been on and off since she hurt her leg. She is still on tylan but was taken off the injections as per my vets instruction and now getting the soluble in her water. This has been going on for over 2 months and I have no idea what else to do. My vet basically told me that I can't go on like this forever, but I just keep hoping that if we ever get spring, maybe she will come around once she's outside moving around again.

Went back and read all your posts on Jemma. I'd suspect bleeding is either damage from disease on air sacs, or possibly owing to sinus treatments. Lameness could be due to banging herself around while boarded at vet or, deterioration of joints owing to disease. You could keep her inside (or anyplace else where temp. can be maintained at around 68-70°F) as cold tends to contribute to symptoms. Just try to augment diet with crushed hard boiled eggs, a few finely chopped grapes/peaches (just anything that interests her).

You've obviously gone above and beyond. If the lameness is such that she can no longer get around, then I'd probably perform one last favor for the poor girl. Hope other members have other opinions.

Though late in the game, you might come across something (maybe give to vet) in this (pretty thorough): http://www.oie.int/doc/ged/D9107.PDF

At some point in the future, you might consider acquiring a couple of heritage turkey hens, they'd obviously be well cared for.

Good luck!

Thanks golden feathers. We kept her in our pool shed with a heat lamp and radiant heater. We unfortunately lost her last night. My husband and I are very sad and keep looking out to check on her as we could see her from many rooms in the house. Even our springer (birdog) is looking for her. They had just in the last couple weeks gotten used to each other. Thanks for your kind words, and thank you to everyone who helped us, help jemma. I'm going to look into the heritage hens. She was such a sweet , kind heart, and I'm happy to have had the opportunity to enjoy her.

Sorry for your loss.

When you all feel up to it, consider getting a few day old heritage poults and hand raise them.

Take care and best of luck,
John

Back
Top Bottom