1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

wild turkeys and free range chickens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by animal nut, Sep 23, 2008.

1. animal nut

animal nut Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    S. E Ohio
    I would like to know if I can allow my hens to free range if I have a flock of wild turkeys graising on my property. I am afraid the chickens will follow the turkeys. Will they stay home or follow the turkeys?

2. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    My chickens didn't really bother with a family of 12 wild turkeys that we had visiting our property. They basically co-existed and when the turkeys eventually would leave, the chickens remained.

oh, and [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  3. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    If you have trained your flock to return home to the coop at night, I doubt you'll have any trouble. My chickens couldn't care less what the ducks and geese are up to and vice-versa. I can't imagine it is any different with turkeys.

4. animal nut

animal nut Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    S. E Ohio
    Thank you very much for the info. I am new at this and maybe a little over concerned about my chickens.

5. laughingllama75

laughingllama75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    I have the good (mis) fortune to have a flock of 25+ turkeys visit each day, almost every day of the year. They leave my hens alone, and vise versa. If the chickens see them coming, the rooster heads them to the barn until the turks are gone. I don't think you'll have any problems. [​IMG]

6. Marcy54

Marcy54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2014
    Shapleigh, ME
    Good question, and it helped me too. We just got a coop the other day, no chicks yet. We have a flock of wild turkeys that wander through our property every now and then. I was wondering what effect they would have on my birds too.

7. MT Nest No Mo

MT Nest No Mo New Egg

Jul 17, 2013
    Fair Oaks, California
    I would really like to let the chickens wander the front yard, but I'm concerned about diseases that might be carried by wild birds and the wild turkeys that wander our neighborhood. I've not found any evidence of sick or dead birds, so am I being an overly cautious chicken mom? Would really like for the girls to go clean up the yard and get a break from their pen. Thanks for any advice...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by