Wild turkeys are hatching poults

Steve_of_sandspoultry

Crowing
10 Years
Apr 4, 2009
Eastern North Carolina
As I was leaving for work this morning I saw 3 Eastern Wild hens in the soybean field back behind our house. I think they had about 6 or 8 poults, it was hard to see the poults they were about as tall as the beans, maybe 5 or 6 inches. I could see them moving around and heads coming up every now and then. The hens had is all figured out. 1 was close by the tree line standing gaurd and the other was out in the field gaurding. The one with the poults was in the center. About 50 feet between each other. Wish I would have had a camera
sad.png

Steve

I saw two hens the other day who crossed the road in front of me. One had poults that looked like they were around 2 weeks old and the others poults looked like they were several weeks old and of course....NO CAMERA !!!
he.gif

Seems like you never have a camera handy on something like that. Sharon saw a bear walking along the side the road the other day at about 5:30 in the afternoon. She tried to get a pic with her phone but it didn't come out.

Steve

Yep, hatching here, too. It's been so quiet in the woods since the end of mating season. We have epic numbers of wild turkeys here.

I'm very curious whether we'll get "interaction" with the Narragansetts and Bourbon reds I'm raising once they are out and about.

It didn't occur to me that I was raising my first batch of poults at the same time the little wild ones are hatching out.

The wild turkeys seem to ignore my chickens and ducks, but one did come to check out the guineas once:

http://cynography.blogspot.com/2009/03/velociraptor-teenage-confusion.html

I traded the guineas for more chickens shortly thereafter (the cocks were too aggressive with my hens and tortured the rooster), so no more opportunities to witness avian confusion.

Back
Top Bottom