wild turkey's attack chickens??

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by shaynapalmer, Sep 18, 2009.

1. shaynapalmer

shaynapalmer Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2009
    Maine
    This past month i noticed a a rather large family of turkeys roaming my backyard, a mom, dad and 7 teenager looking turks. they've been coming a bit closer to the coop everytime and today they were heading towards the coop and my chickens were making some strange noises(either happy to see them or angry as heck!) my question is..will wild turkeys try to harm my chickens? is it something i should worry about? i keep chasing them off but they keep coming back for more of my "run at them" tourture..lol

2. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

We have wild turkeys that wander through our yard, too. They haven't shown much interest in the chickens, though. And they're pretty skittish, so I'm sure adult chickens would chase them away.

3. chseeads

chseeads Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    I wouldn't expect them to bother them.

Anything is possible of course, and truth is sometimes stranger than fiction...lol

But I wouldn't be terribly worried about wild turkeys.

4. Highland Moongazer

Highland Moongazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Marshall, NC
    If they're anything like the wild turkeys I have around my house, they just want the free food.

5. Ken H

Ken H Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    I have wild turkeys through my yard near the coop very often. The first time the girls(my hens) saw some they started chargeing the turkeys. As they got closer they started slowing down. When they got to 20 yds they stopped. You could almost hear them thinking"Holy Cow, those things are BIG!!! The girls turned around and charged back to the coop. The turkeys never took notice of them. So no, I do not think the wild turkeys are a danger to your chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by