Wild Turkeys Bothering my Mixed Flock!

CE8D44B1-FABA-4214-8890-793ADC2EADF0.jpeg
1B0CED18-64AC-4690-A894-A6EDB67CCD1E.jpeg
3BE1EF66-47B9-497D-AA2F-29EA06C4A0C9.jpeg
This time of year, the wild toms are usually in bachelor groups, not hanging with the ladies. The breeding season in Florida doesn’t start until February-ish. They may just be curious.

In regard to diseases, you might want to check with your local wildlife officer, game warden, or the local rep from the NWTF. Not saying it can’t happen, but it’s probably not a major concern.

We have a lot of wild turkeys in the area who occasionally come check out the chickens (I don’t have domestic turkeys or guineas), but they don’t really seem all that interested. Do you have any pics of the wild turkeys and your set up?

I have 5 acres in my property. Within that land I had fenced an area maybe 100’ by 150’ with 6’ tall fence. Within that area it’s the chicken coop, their run, a 10’ by 10’ kennel for the turkeys to sleep safely and smaller misc cages that I keep in case one of the hens get sick, hurt, etc. From the pictures you can see where I find the stupid wild turkeys every morning. “Right up and personal.”

Attachments

• 57AB96CE-E42F-4940-AAA9-7BEF4860009E.jpeg
    57AB96CE-E42F-4940-AAA9-7BEF4860009E.jpeg
    653.1 KB · Views: 5
  • A0A27AAF-8A2B-4FD2-A062-D28870B8796D.jpeg
    A0A27AAF-8A2B-4FD2-A062-D28870B8796D.jpeg
    841.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 37622F5F-BA12-4332-BAAA-E55882648C35.jpeg
    37622F5F-BA12-4332-BAAA-E55882648C35.jpeg
    648.9 KB · Views: 3
QUOTE="Ted_Harrell, post: 21958278, member: 550625"]I don't have a clue what to do but just for clarification, how close are the wild boys from the wrong side of the tracks able to get to your girls?[/

Right up into their fenced area an up to their cage. I keep my chickens and turkeys in the same area. And their different coops also. The stupid wild turkeys are right in there with everyone defeating and eating.

Defecating? What about a pellet gun? This is not illegal unless you live in city limits, and then only certain cities. It sure stings, doesn't break the skin, just causes pain and surprise.

Defecating? What about a pellet gun? This is not illegal unless you live in city limits, and then only certain cities. It sure stings, doesn't break the skin, just causes pain and surprise.
Shooting them with a pellet gun is called wildlife harassment and is illegal and can be deadly depending on the pellet gun.

Shooting them with a pellet gun is called wildlife harassment and is illegal and can be deadly depending on the pellet gun.

Yes there are pellet guns with high power even usable for hunting. But they cost thousands of dollars. I'd just use a cheap one with low power. Or an airsoft toy gun. The goal is to surprise and annoy till they leave.

Sounds like you live in a city. I'm not familiar with that environment and all the rules. My advice might not be for you. We're on acreage in the county.

Yes there are pellet guns with high power even usable for hunting. But they cost thousands of dollars. I'd just use a cheap one with low power. Or an airsoft toy gun. The goal is to surprise and annoy till they leave.

Sounds like you live in a city. I'm not familiar with that environment and all the rules. My advice might not be for you. We're on acreage in the county.
There are pellet guns that can be deadly that do not cost thousands of dollars. Any pellet gun that is weak enough to not be harmful to a turkey will also not bother them because the pellet will just bounce off of the feathers. Noise will bother them. Chasing them will bother them.

Your assumption of where I live is totally wrong. Every state has its own rules. You live in Texas while the OP lives in Florida. What you can do in Texas is not necessarily what she can do in Florida. Her first course of action should be to contact her local game warden or DNR agent. They may help her or they may not help her but they will let her know what her legal options are.

Actually I live in the country. With different neighbors farms size from 5 acres to up to hundred acres. Thank you for all your help. I do have a pellet rifle, low power, but as soon as they saw me approaching with it they took off. Which tells me they’ve been hunted before. I will call the government and see what they suggest. I was told that if wild animals harass or cause damage to farmers they can kill them. I also though to use salt cartridges shotgun. Just so they feel the pain and scare them. Just to make sure. What government office I need to check with? Thank you again one and all.

Actually I live in the country. With different neighbors farms size from 5 acres to up to hundred acres. Thank you for all your help. I do have a pellet rifle, low power, but as soon as they saw me approaching with it they took off. Which tells me they’ve been hunted before. I will call the government and see what they suggest. I was told that if wild animals harass or cause damage to farmers they can kill them. I also though to use salt cartridges shotgun. Just so they feel the pain and scare them. Just to make sure. What government office I need to check with? Thank you again one and all.

You can check your local white pages for the number of your local game warden or the number for your regional Florida Fish & Wildlife office.

I live in Florida too. I have talked to a wildlife officer and was told that you can shoot if the predator is endangering your flock. Since you do have a low power pellet gun shoot towards them and keep scaring them and possibly they will get the hint and move off. We are like you, rural where most neighbors have several acres. I'm surprised they haven't went over the fence to get in with your birds. I had some neighbors that on occasions I took care of their animals, goats, chickens, ducks and turkeys. The turkeys had a 8' chain-link pen/coop and every evening I would put them in. When I would go over in the mornings to let them out into their pasture, the turkeys would already be out. They would go over the 8' chain-link. Eventually my hubby and a friend did put a roof over it. Originally only part was covered.

Back
Top Bottom