1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

wild turkeys

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by 6chickens in St. Charles, Nov 20, 2011.

1. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    These are regular visitors around here. They even stop to Hello us at the library, 2 blocks from our house! One, not in this picture, is a smoke/gray color, but just as wild.

[​IMG]

2. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    Cool! Wow, they're pretty! [​IMG]

3. luvinmychickens

luvinmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    Coolio!! [​IMG]

4. 6chickens in St. Charles

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Woops. Forgot to post this picture:
    [​IMG]

Aren't they sweet, the way they trot along?

5. Chic_girl

Chic_girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    Near Columbus OH
    Fly turkeys, FLY! Thanksgiving is coming! No matter how nice people seem, don't go to their houses 'for dinner'!

6. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    I love our wild turkeys too. Sometimes, we have as many as 40 roaming our fields. They are year round and sleep in the pine trees right outside our bedroom window. During mating season, the young males will strut and display for my girls. It's pretty funny to see them strut and glide and shake those wings.....the hens seem quite bored. Here is a picture I took last Spring.

[​IMG]

Every year, we will see examples of different colorations. I think they are just gorgeous.

[​IMG]

At this time of year, the most unusual thing occurs. All the turkeys seem to disappear. Now, I know what you are thinking, but next week, they will all return in the same numbers. It's like they know its Thanksgiving and they go on their own little vacation....perhaps they find a safe house?

7. GramaCindy

GramaCindy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2011
    Far NW Wisconsin
    With me just looking into raising chickens I have to wonder is it okay to "free range" them with all of these guys in the yard frequently?[​IMG]

8. GramaCindy

GramaCindy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2011
    Far NW Wisconsin
    Ok….how pre-tell do you post pics here?

9. 6chickens in St. Charles

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Quote:see the blue header line when u scroll to the top of the screen? click uploads... but beware, its addictive!

10. Gresh

Gresh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    We've got some wild turkeys around our house, too. We live on 28 acres and they make their home in our woods. There's three of them and they come every once in awhile to eat chestnuts in our front yard or to investigate our chickens and the coop [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by