Wildfire smoke and chicken health

Update: happy chickens are happy.
E7E4EDE2-58DC-417F-A5BD-025DB6953451.jpeg

Velociraptor von Murderbird! Wow!
Why is Goga (who is beautiful) a wonder chicken?

Well, not wanting to hijack this thread more than I already have, but she broke her right wing in two places in early August. She seems to have made as full a recovery as anyone could have hoped for considering. She was already the bottom ranking bird in the pecking order and that whole ordeal did not help, Queenie (my dominant hen, who's in the foreground and kind of upside down in the picture I just shared) has been bullying her a lot since they've been reintegrated. She's always kind of out on the fringes now, like in that photo. I'm kind of hoping that some day she'll go broody so I can throw some fertilized eggs under her to allow her to benefit from some (probably actually pretty anthropomorphic ideas about chicken relationships) attention/affection from other chickens.

Ugh, so after a blissful couple of easy breathing days, we apparently have dipped back into that fuzzy area where some AQI monitors are calling it “unhealthy for sensitive groups” and some are calling it “unhealthy”. From what I’ve read it sounds like it’s going to fluctuate some over the next few days but unlikely to plummet back into the pea soup smoke air we were suffering through last week. But still, ugh.

It’s not bad enough right now that I’m moving my birds back inside but I did hang up wet sheets and shut them in the coop again.

How are all your flocks doing?

Ugh, so after a blissful couple of easy breathing days, we apparently have dipped back into that fuzzy area where some AQI monitors are calling it “unhealthy for sensitive groups” and some are calling it “unhealthy”. From what I’ve read it sounds like it’s going to fluctuate some over the next few days but unlikely to plummet back into the pea soup smoke air we were suffering through last week. But still, ugh.

It’s not bad enough right now that I’m moving my birds back inside but I did hang up wet sheets and shut them in the coop again.

How are all your flocks doing?
It got smoky again, but the sun's shining, so rn it's ok.

We're truckin' on as usual. It's only "moderate" where we are and still have blue skies. Rain is forecast from Wed-Fri, so I think we should be good. I'm still refreshing water regularly and the birds are big fans lol
MVIMG_20200921_154721.jpg

Back
Top Bottom