1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wildfires and chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mrsmaonaigh, Jun 22, 2011.

1. mrsmaonaigh

mrsmaonaigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    SE Georgia
    I'm sorry if this has been posted but I can't find anything. We live in SE Georgia and are having some heavy wild fires. The smoke has gotten so bad that it is seeping into our house and we need to leave. My chickens are all outside breathing this crap in and I don't know what to do. Does anyone have suggestions on how to protect them from the smoke? I don't have anyone to take care of them because most of the people that I know have already left. I have small children and can't keep exposing them to this mess. Any suggestions please?

2. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    You don't say how many chickens, Is it possible to put them in a garage with plenty food/water until you return? Is it so few that you could cram them in a pet carrier? You have my deepest sympathy for here in Texas, we are having the worst drought in over 50 years and have several wildfires raging close by, one of which has burned over 20,000 acres. I hate to say this, but chickens are expendable, you children aren't. Pack up and run. Now. My heart breaks for you.

3. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    can you put them in a large dog crate and take them with you? if not, can you put a fan in the coop? if you leave make sure they have plenty of food and water on board, if they are small they will not last lonbg without food/water. Do you lknow anyone who can take them until this is over?

4. Pickaduck

Pickaduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Alabama
    I'm so sorry you are going through this - we are having a lot of wildfires in Alabama as well.

If you have just a few and can take them with you, then do. Otherwise you need to put your family first. If you feel it's safe enough to leave a fan up and running for them then do that. Otherwise make sure they have extra water and food and get the heck out of there. We all love our chickens but this is a situation where you and your family's safety and health are at stake. I know it's not easy - I had to lose my flock during the April 27th tornado outbreak - there just wasn't time or room to get them all inside and it broke my heart. Thoughts and prayers are with you. [​IMG]

5. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    I live in SE Ga. Where exactly are you at? I dont know of any wildfires around me???

6. mrsmaonaigh

mrsmaonaigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    SE Georgia
    Quote:Camden County. The fires are from the Okefenokee Swamp and the wind is blowing the smoke our way. The smoke is running up and down the east coast.

Thanks everyone. Just waiting on my husband to get home now. Unfortunately, we have too many chickens to take with us and no one to look after them. I'm going to leave food and water and hope for the best.

7. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    I wish i could help but i dont know of anything to do. I would keep them for you but i dont have enough room for any more chickens. I hope everything turns out ok [​IMG]
    Maybe post your situation on craigslist and see if anyone can watch your chickens for a while. Its worth a try

8. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    A garage or basement with rolled wet towels at the door cracks?
    I'm so sorry for you... hope it all ends ok! x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by