Wildlife Friendly Fence But Deters Human Trespassing?

Shinshimon

Hatching
Nov 15, 2015
In short:
Need a fence that would deter human trespassers but allow wildlife to come and go (deer, rabbits, squirrels, bees, wasps, spiders, cougars, bears, [depending on region of property] etc.)

Details:
Planning on getting my own property to start my very own homestead. I'd like it to be close to nature but not completely isolated. I want to take away as little habitat from the native wildlife of the area ; and so the issue I'm facing now is the fencing and security of my property.
I love observing [and sometimes even doodling] wildlife so I thought I could make a fence where they can come and go as they please (I will not be feeding them or interacting with them).
However I've had quite the amount of encounters where the neighboring people aren't too friendly and constantly want to ruin and/or steal what little I have from me. I don't know where this new property will be but I'm tired of people trying to take my things that I've worked so hard for; so I just want to prevent what I've been going through all these years, all the while enjoying the view of nature at it's best from the safety of home.
The "No Trespassing" Signs have not been working. I was thinking of getting a dog, but I wouldn't want them to attack the wildlife unless they need to (animals with rabies still possible?) and I don't know how I'd keep them from running away. Perhaps I could train them to stay close and alert me of other humans.

If you have any ideas, questions, or comments please reply to this thread. :3

My experience with fencing and theiving neighbors is humans can get through, over, around or under fences better than animals can.

Secure buildings with sturdy locks and motion sensing lights will be your best bets.

I have to put a lock on my coop door to keep eggs from being stolen!!

Whoa. That method seems way simpler than an actual fence. Yes. I shall secure buildings with locks, lights, security cameras, and perhaps alarms.
Who would want to steal eggs, though?

I have a 4 foot non-climbable horse fence around 21/2 acres. It is also cross fenced. There are gates that can be locked. This is only a deterrent to someone who might want to come in without permission. Theives don't really want to spend a lot of time getting in and out. I also have three dogs that weigh in at around 65 to 70 pounds each. They are protective of their own territory and the livestock that is in it. They don't chase chickens. They will go for anything that tries to harm their chickens, or myself. They are in the house with me at night, and in and out of the house all day long. They have good ears and alert quickly if a chicken even squawks outside. Only once have they had to run off a person trying to come into the property at night. If they even whine at night I am awake and letting them out the door. Have been doing it this way for over 30 years. Oh I also have a motion activated light out on the barn. Also, I do little things, like making sure the dogs are visible during the day..just so any would be theif that might be cruising can see that there are dogs here. So far, it's working for me.

Really nothing better than a dog. My neighbor has 60 acres. He has an underground inviisible fence that just goes around his house and barn. He has one dog in it that barks and alerts when anyone gets within 500 feet.

Big fences and security encourage some burglars, curious about what you are trying to protect.

Roses, and thorny citrus varieties are people-proof fences which do not look like fences until someone uninvited tries to cross them. They always give up once they fall into the thorns. Learn to propagate these plants yourself so that you can afford to plant any amount you care to. People only mess with beehives one time, especially if they do not realize it is a beehive. At law, bees are wild animals and what they do is no responsibility of yours, unlike domesticated animals, which are.

Get a dog. Chihuahua dogs alert you to everything that is going on, using different kinds of barks for different things. They don't eat much. Larger dogs eat more (including roadkill), and do more.

Back
Top Bottom