will a 5 month old BBB turkey be tough when roasted, if not brined?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by patandchickens, Oct 2, 2009.

1. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I am supposed to be feeding DH's relatives tomorrow and am having second thoughts and worries [​IMG]

Is a 5 month old BBB hen, aged not quite 72 hrs, going to be real tough?

I could brine it, was planning to, but then this morning I remembered that although DH uses salt like it's going out of style, his mother HATES salt and has remarkably sensitive tastebuds to it, so now I am concerned that brining may make it too salty. I will brine if I have to, would rather have salty for m-i-l than tough for everyone; but, what do you think?

Thanks,

Pat, who HATES cooking for the other side of the family

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  2. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Brining it WILL make it salty. Don't brine it- just age it properly, which it sounds like you've done. It should be fine.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Update: I "choked", and brined it in a half-strength solution for 10 hrs before cooking, then rinsed the bejeebers out of it [​IMG]

It was not noticeably salty, and was just about as tender as a typical store-boughten turkey (but with much better more-distinct flavor). I have no idea how much tenderness was from ageing and how much from brining and how much would have been that way no matter what I did... but, point is, everybody ate it with reasonable satisfaction [​IMG]

Thanks,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by