Will a Bald eagle go after a chicken?

Last fall, I had a bald eagle sitting on the ground outside my duck pen. I'd say he would have eaten one if they weren't closed up. My English shepherd encouraged it to fly away.

I have lost two chickens to a Redtail in one week. Some have posted they didn't want White chickens because they stand out for Hawk Food . I have all colors and he took two Black ones LOL. Maybe they look more like wild Turkeys.
Have not seen Bald Eagle here but when I lived in suburbs that was close to tidal waters there were a lot at that location.
One morning I was walking out my drive to get the paper just after sun up and a Bald eagle swooped down and took a wild Rabbit ,30 yards in front of me ,that was grazing in my yard. And my entire property is covered in huge mature tree canopy. I had previously seen them take fish from the creek behind the house but this was during the spring chick raising
so the Rabbit may have been and exception.
Yes I think they could take a chicken if the felt it was needed but may not be a preferred choice.

Well this worries me... For the first time ever I saw a bald eagle circling above my yard while my chickens where out in the yard. BTW i live 10 miles south of Pittsburgh Pa, I am thinking he was either passing through or has moved into the area and has a nest somewhere on the river... Like I said the closest bald eagle I've seen was up by lake aurthur for you local people which is 50ish miles north of pittsburgh

They say there are a few here in DuBois, in central PA. I still haven't seen one myself. There's been a huge owl we've seen here over the past few months. It actually woke me up the other night, it was right above the house in the trees.

Two Bald Eagles in my back yard this afternoon, flying low, below tree tops, hung out in the grove behind the house for about 2 hours. Did not make a pass at the chickens, but thanks to this thread as I suspected, they might. I don't have a covered run, but will keep them behind the electro net for a few days. they are big birds so hopefully they are not agile enought to get one of my birds, who are pretty alert when it comes to raptors, but far from perfect. I hope they don't build a nest!!! They were on the ground in the grove, but I did not see them fly off with any limbs.

Back
Top Bottom