Will a Bantam Roo mate with a Standard Sized Hen?

andischickenfarm

Songster
12 Years
Jun 19, 2007
N.E. Oklahoma
This is going to sound strange, but I can not eat the eggs if they are fertile. If I see any red spots or anything I'll go nuts! lol
smile.png
But, I love having a rooster around the farm and I do have some banty hens that I would like to try and hatch out some of their eggs. So my question is would a banty rooster mate with a standard sized hen or just with my banty hens? I've never heard anyone say before. Let me know what you think.
Thanks,
Andi

We had a banty roo in with our standard hens for a long time until he got mean. He would mount the ladies, but, well.... Lets just say that if their cloacas were located about the middle of their right wings, he would have been spot on!
wink.png
In other words, he would try, but never accomplished anything.
gig.gif

Yes. I have a bantam roo and some standard girls - and some of those eggs come in fertile!

Quote:
The red spots are blood spots or meat spots.... .not a big deal - you can pick them out.
If you don't like the idea of eating a fertile egg you can always crack them open and LOOK - I'm not sure how often you will be able to SEE the bullseye and how often it would be hiding UNDER the yolk - but you can learn to see what it looks like, if thats your issue with the eggs. (of course boiled eggs you'd have no clue) ANd they do all taste the same
big_smile.png

well I have a banty roo Clyde in with about 14 standard hens he mounts them ALL but he has a few that are his fav - they are showing the bold spots on the back - mostly the EE's and their eggs are fertile I plan on adding them to the bator to see what a mix that would make.
now with my really big girls like my LB's and the cochins - he tries but I have never seen any of thier eggs fertile.

we eat the fertile eggs - taste the same

Julie

andischickenfarm , I had a major issue with eating fertilized eggs. I fought and fought my husband about having a roo, there was no way I was going to eat an egg that had been fertilized. But after asking on here and reading several different things, a fertilized egg and an unfertilized egg is really not that different. The baby chick is not really there, it has to be incubated for it to start growing. A fertilized egg only has the possibility of becoming a chick. After I read this, I was fine with it, and have eaten our eggs from our chickens, and unless you really look, you would never even be able to tell the difference. They taste exactly the same. Also, as far as the blood spots go, they don't happen very often and can even happen in unfertilized eggs.

OK, thanks for all the info. I've got one more question. If the eggs are fertile and I miss one in the nest and I don't gather it till the next day and one of my hens has been setting on it, is it still good to eat or should I toss it? I usally don't miss one but just in case I do. Like, how long is an egg good if it's fertile and a hen has been setting on it? I don't want to crack it open and find a chick! lol I would probably never eat eggs again!
Thanks,
Andi

Back
Top Bottom