Will a broody set on dead eggs?

kroman

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 31, 2010
I have a broody who has been sitting on eggs since April 22 which makes today like day 26. She started with 15 and is down to 6. Some have just been kicked out as shells, others she kicked out the whole egg. I broke open the whole eggs and all of them have had chicks in some stage of development. The last 2 were the day before yesterday and they looked fully developed although there was still a yolk sac about the size of a peanut m&m. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Remove her. Chickens have no idea that broodiness takes 21 days. She will sit there until she dies of starvation. The other eggs are likely dead, its been too long. It takes anywhere from 18-22 days to hatch them so it's over. Sorry. I probably wouldn't let her brood again if she tries simply because of the egg removal, not a good behavior pattern. I wouldn't trust her to try again based on that alone. She should be protective and devoted to them. Not a good "mommy hen".

Here is my thread with advice on how to break her without hurting her (or you):

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=499951

Hope this helps and I am truly sorry this happened to you.......

Timothy in KY

Since you let her sit I assume you were going to allow her to have chicks.

You could do what I did for a hen with a failed hatch. Go hunt her up some chicks. Tractor Supply and other farm stores are having chick days right now. I zoomed in, bought some chicks, brought them home and waited until evening. Carefully and quietly removed the dead eggs from under my hen and replaced with live, healthy chicks. She was as pleased as punch. She's a good mama, just a poor choice of eggs on my part.

You're a braver soul than I am. I couldn't bare to crack open the eggs to do an egg-topsy. Suffice it to say, I could tell by shaking which had died early on or had never developed and which had died late.
sad.png

Im having the same prob with one of my girls, she refuses to give up and Im assuming they are dead, I MAY have to get her a couple silkie babies and see if that works, or I might just remove her and bring her in my shop for a couple days, she picked an Awful spot to even sit on eggs, I hadn't even noticed she was sitting.....I feel bad because my others all hatched out babies and there she sits, very sad

I actually have some chicks that I can let her raise. She raised a batch last year and was an excellent mom. Thanks for the input from everyone. I haven't yet read the link but that is next on my to do list.

Quote:
The chicks would need to be very young, day olds or nearly so, for her to accept them.

It is sad to watch them just sit and sit and nothing happen. Best to give them some chicks or break them IMHO.

My chicks are already a week old so I am not going that route. I did read the link on gently breaking her broodiness and that sounds like the kindest thing for her. She has been so faithful to sit but I feel bad for her. Thank you all once again.

Back
Top Bottom