Will a call duck mate a Khaki??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mangus580, Aug 12, 2011.

1. mangus580

mangus580 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2009
    Western NY
    Crazy question... My wife saw a call duck today, and now wants some!! We currently have 3 female Khaki Cambells. I have located a pair of Snowy Call Ducks for sale, 1 male, 1 female. Being that our Khaki's are for egg production (and my wife is a vegetarian!!) I really wouldnt want the male to be attempting to mate with the Khaki's.

will this happen? or due to the size differences, etc. will he not be likely to try?

2. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Well he may try but it is hard to say if he will get the job done or not. So by saying your Khakis are for egg production and that your wife is a vegetarian I guess you mean that you don't want fertilized eggs or lil ducklings?, if that’s the case I'm not really sure if he will be able to breed the Khakis b/c of his size but if he dose and you don't want ducklings then just don't hatch the eggs, is that what you mean?

3. mangus580

Mar 30, 2009
    Western NY
    She gets funny about fertilized eggs... dont ask!!

4. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Quote:[​IMG]
    Oh ok I see I understand my sister is the same way she thinks it is a lil life that she is eating if she eats some of my birds eggs weather they are duck or chicken eggs b/c I have males that breed my females so we have buy eggs from the store for her, I would just assume that the lil call duck guy can’t get the job done so the eggs aren’t fertile. [​IMG]

5. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Better question is what are your plans for the call duck eggs since you found a pair to buy. Those will be fertile, so you need a plan before you get the birds since your wife is funny about them.

Shellie

6. mangus580

Mar 30, 2009
    Western NY
    Quote:Well, I had presumed it would be pretty easy to determine which eggs are which... to start with [​IMG]

From there, I didnt have a plan... but was considering letting the call eggs go the way of the wild.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by