Will a capon fight with a rooster?

Skyle

Fluffy feathered feet addicted
Premium Feather Member
Apr 11, 2020
Between Italy and Slovenia
6 weeks ago my favourite hen hatched three chicks, but I unfortunately lost her with two of her chicks the same night. The last chick left now is grew up and I'm very attached to him. I'm pretty sure he's a cockerel:hmm. The problem is that I can't keep him as a rooster: he will probably fight with my other rooster (I can't have more than 8 chickens, so if I keep him I'll have no more than 6 hens) and mate with his sisters (form a different hatch), which will probably overmated too. I was thinking of neutering him, there are chances that he gets along with the other male? What's the best age to caponizing (I'll have a vet do it)?
IMG-20200522-WA0060.jpeg

This is him some time ago

Do you have a vet that is willing to do it? Many do not. I would be concerned that the rooster would pick on him personally but you could try and then separate if needed.

Thanks everyone for the answers. My rooster is very sweet and immediately got on well with the bigger chicks, so I don't think another one is a problem, but I'm sure a rooster will be. I should have a vet willing to do it and I'll try to ask him this week, in the worst case I will have to find a new home for my chick.

Please let us know what you find out....wondering if vets do this regularly in EU.

I'm not sure, but reading in some Italian forums I saw that it is legal to castrate a cockerel (mainly to eat them later). Talking to the vet, however, I was told that it would be better to find him a new home because there is a risk that my rooster will attack him anyway. I'll look for someone who can give him a happy life.

I'm not sure, but reading in some Italian forums I saw that it is legal to castrate a cockerel (mainly to eat them later). Talking to the vet, however, I was told that it would be better to find him a new home because there is a risk that my rooster will attack him anyway. I'll look for someone who can give him a happy life.
Curious if vet gave you an age range and a cost to caponize.

Curious if vet gave you an age range and a cost to caponize.

He didn't say anything about it because he advised me against it (actually I don't know if he would have done it personally in a different situation or if I had to contact another vet)

Back
Top Bottom