Will a chicken hawk eventually leave?

babyboy1_mom

Songster
11 Years
Apr 13, 2008
Louisiana
I have a chicken hawk that has been hanging around all day and squawlking at my chickens. It is sitting way up in a tree and watching the chickens. They are all locked in their pens, so the hawk cannot get to them, but they are all terrified. I was wondering if the hawk does not get a free meal, then will it leave?

We have guns, but I hate killing any animal. I would rather for it to go on down the road and leave my chickens and ducks alone.

Any advice is apreciated.

Thanks,
Dorothy

The 1st thing is shooting any bird of prey is illegal. It might leave and it might not. As long as your birds are secure and the Hawk can't get them it will be fine. I have had one sit on top of my run and look at the girls and smack it's lips but it could not get to them so it soon flew off.

They're voracious will stalk prey by walking in tree branches for days on end. They're protected in most provinces and states and the fines for killing one are HUGE. You have to separate your birds from them with netting/roofing.

sorry idk what to besdes wait

Last edited by a moderator:
dont throw anything or shoot an airsoft gun at it either. my husband is a game warden, and he read that and told me that you can get a ticket for harassing wildlife. thats fine isnt small either. just be patient, the girls will learn they are safe in their run sooner or later.

No joke and those fines usually come with jail time and not at the state level either, it's a Federal crime with time spent in a federal pen where there is no overcrowding and you will serve 85% of your time before even being called up for parole.

Please heed the advice about harrassing and killing not only hawks but all migratory birds and wildlife.

We have been warned that there is a game warden that might read what is written here. Please don't put him in a situation where he has to choose between doing what his job requires or what peer pressure from BYC may cause. There might also be game wardens or other enforcement officers here unknown to us. Remember the threads can be read and Google searches result in a lot of BYC hits.

Don't try to hit it with a golf ball either.

My two cents worth of advice is: Keep any illegal activities of your own and any advice to do something illegal to yourself and not in the forums.

Just to let all of you know, the chicken hawk finally got the message and left on it's own. No, I didn't shoot at it or throw anything at it either...lol I guess that it finally got tired of waiting to see if one of my chickens was going to come out in the open so that it could grab it...lol

Thanks for all of the information.

Dorothy

Now there are step you can legally take to help protect your flock, encourage birds such as the Purple Martin or the Scissortail Flycatcher or Barn Swallows and the Mockingbirds to nest in your area. They will harrass any hawk that comes near their nests. Blue Jays will too, but you would be fair game too. Low bushes and plenty of hiding places will discourage attack as well because a hawk is at a disadvantage once it has to light on the ground to give chase.

someone on here I don't remember who said that the hawks don't like the reflection of cd's and dvd's so I'm going to hang those up.And hope they do the trick my birds free range most of the day if i'm outside but sometimes I have to go in the house for a few minutes

Back
Top Bottom