Will a chicken stay on extra for duck eggs to hatch?

They said it depends how cold your fridge was. Mine was cold but also pretty warm kind of. It's the type of fridge that won't spoil your food but still kind of warm and won't really cool you off in the summer when you open it.
Ohhh ok then the eggs should be fine

First yes a good broody chicken will sit for the 4 weeks on duck eggs. If the eggs were layed within the last 2 weeks and kept at 50- 60 they should hatch. If they were kept cooler or warmer they still have a good chance. Some on BYC had experiments going with this on chickens. I don't know their percentages, but chicks did hatch.
I am learning something from this too..

How long did she wait for a clutch before she started to brood? In other words, how many eggs is she sitting on, aside from the duck eggs you added? The refrigerated eggs "can" hatch, but with drastically lower chances. The unrefrigerated 2 have a pretty high probability of hatching if they are fertile. As for continuing to sit on them after her own hatch, that's really up to her. But it's unlikely. Once hers hatch, she will be ready to care for her own and consider the unmatched duds or a loss after only a couple days. She may even kick them out of the nest all together. Being duck eggs take much longer than the 21 days for her, i don't see it. You will likely need to incubate them for the rest of the time they have left.

How long did she wait for a clutch before she started to brood? In other words, how many eggs is she sitting on, aside from the duck eggs you added? The refrigerated eggs "can" hatch, but with drastically lower chances. The unrefrigerated 2 have a pretty high probability of hatching if they are fertile. As for continuing to sit on them after her own hatch, that's really up to her. But it's unlikely. Once hers hatch, she will be ready to care for her own and consider the unmatched duds or a loss after only a couple days. She may even kick them out of the nest all together. Being duck eggs take much longer than the 21 days for her, i don't see it. You will likely need to incubate them for the rest of the time they have left.
Only 5 duck eggs

Only 5 duck eggs
Oh, there's none of her own? If she's just wanting to become broody, she may not even accept them and brood properly. Or she may. Chickens are pretty smart and picky. They can and will be able to distinguish the duck eggs from their own. It's much easier and accepting if they are snuck in with their own eggs. Ots easier to "trick" them so to speak. But like i said, its all up to her. If she accepts them and successfully broods them, chickens still have that "21 day" instinct, so she may abandon them if it takes to much longer. She may not, but just count on intervening and incubating if you have to.

No, they do not need their own eggs, absolutely. What i meant was starting them directly on duck eggs may be iffy because chickens have the ability to distinguish other breeds eggs, such as duck eggs. Not all of them will, but its a possibility that comes with their natural instincts. It's really 50/50 if she accepts them and broods them, or if she won't.

chickens can't tell duck eggs from chicken eggs from golf balls from round stones. If they go broody and commit to it, they'll try and hatch babies from lego! OK not lego but you catch my drift.

I've successfully hatched ducks from chicken broodies many many times. They also can't count, so they'll sit til they hatch or aren't going to. They don't know 21 days from 28.

Is she sitting on any other eggs besides the ducks?

Back
Top Bottom