Will a chihuahua kill a chicken?

mobbs001.jpg

This is my chihuahua. Our banties are almost bigger than her. She likes to play tag with them, but I don't think she could ever catch them. And she gets nervous when the chickens come too close to our kids and tries to get between them.

Actually I am more worried about the dog getting hurt by the chickens.
lol.png

That said, any animal has the instinct and ability to kill a chicken.

Last edited:
Quote:
Sums up my thoughts. Our two doxies, NOT big dogs you know, will just sit there staring at the chickens and drooling. Even steak doesn't make these dogs drool... kinda scary. And they are awesome possum killers so just to be safe I keep my girls penned. Better a live, but stuck in a (rather large) pen, chicken than a dead one and everyone upset.

I am sure it could if it wanted to. I know my friend though it would be funny to bring hers to my house this summer and let him into the run with the chikens and he peed on one which then caused the chickens to run after him and he almost got hurt...
roll.png

edited to say, I told her never to do that again and to next time leave her dog at home. I was certainly not impressed with her.

Last edited:
any dog can kill a chicken if it wanted to. Just look at how tiny

dachhunds are, and they're known for killing chickens. My aunt has one,

she also has a neighbor that raises chickens. He's killed MANY of the nieghbors

chickens, and chases them any time hes over there. I had to dig her poor rooster

out of the shed becuase of that darn weiner dog
barnie.gif
poor guy went off to his

ladies with no tail feathers
lau.gif
be safe. She may look all cute and innocent but

she is capable of far more than you think
wink.png

This is my other chihuahua Zelda. She is the most vicious chihuahua that I own. At 3 pounds she is the alpha and will attack the other dogs at every oppurtunity. If a larger dog had the heart of a chihuahua, then we would all be in trouble I believe.
74490_img_4750.jpg

Cute dogs! I have a mini pin and I would say he is the guard dog of the house even though my other dog is 3 times bigger-maybe 4 times,lol.

I would seperate by atleast a small fence.Chickens are running chew toys. I had my min pin sneak into the run,but I got him out before he could do damage.

I have a chihuahua, a mini dachshund, and a Italian Greyhound. All pretty much ignore my birds. The IG is actually afraid of them.

The thing you've got to understand about chihuahuas is that they don't realize they're small dogs*. They have all the same instincts as a big dog and since they think they weight 130 pounds and are 3' at the shoulder, they're going to act as if they were!

Now, whether they could PHYSICALLY kill a chicken is going to be up for grabs. It'd take a determined dog, a dumb chicken, and a lot of luck.

That said a chihuahua could still do some damage even if it didn't kill. Separate and/or do some heavy duty training, same as any other dog, and you won't be sorry.

*I was bitten by the biggest #$%@& of a chihuahua as a baby. Was scared of dogs for years. Still don't trust little dogs.

Back
Top Bottom