Will a Coturnix quail walk up a slanted slope?

QuailMan6666

Songster
Mar 11, 2023
I recently acquired a cheap and used flight cage that looks like the one in the photo below. Can I add multiple levels to this cage with ramps, and will Coturnix quails be able to walk the ramps to the upper levels?

cage.jpg

I recently acquired a cheap and used flight cage that looks like the one in the photo below. Can I add multiple levels to this cage with ramps, and will Coturnix quails be able to walk the ramps to the upper levels?

View attachment 3730201
I keep coturnix in a somewhat similar cage that has multiple levels and ramps. They're up and down the ramps all the time. I got the cage from my massage therapist. I think it was originally setup for a chinchilla and it's not quite as tall, but they seem to like it. I have a feeder and waterer on the cage bottom. The first level is about 1/3 the width of the cage and has a ramp from the cage bottom and another ramp to the second level. That level just has a cut out for the ramp at the back and has room for another set of feeder and waterer. There's a fourth level that's also about 1/3 the width of the cage. To give them some relief from the wire and to reduce the number of droppings that fall on the birds on the lower levels, I have pieces of astroturf on the second level. Under each feeder, I put a terracotta planter base which catches most of the feed that they try to waste.
Edit to add: I moved the birds from their brooder to this cage when they were three weeks old. I don't know if that helped them acclimate or not. Also, there a drawback in that eggs can be fun to find and sometimes they seem to lay on an upper level, but the egg falls to the lower levels and breaks.

If you put them on ramps early, say at about 3 weeks old, they will know/learn how to use them. That's all I know for sure. I keep my birds in large rabbit hutches with ramps in them for easy cleaning.

We bought a rabbit hutch for it with an upper level and our quails found it hard to walk up the ramp at first as it was too slippery. Modified it with some self adhesive non-slip matting from the local hardware store. It didn't take them long to take to the ramp at all and now they race upstairs for entertainment.

Back
Top Bottom