Will a guinea try to mate with a hen?

CHICKENX2005

Songster
Feb 2, 2024
I know this is a weird question but...will a guinea mate with a hen? I had a single guinea with my hens he was always so nice to them. He was raised with chickens ( not sure if he knows he's not a chicken ) anyway I saw him chasing one of my hens recently I didn't think much of it but then later he did it again and this time he actually grabbed hold of her the way a rooster will on the back of her neck but the hen ran away. A day or so later I saw him chase another hen again only this time when he ran up to the hen she squatted and he mated with her. Then I started seeing he doing it all the time. Is this normal?

I've seen ducks try to mate chickens and chickens try to mate tennis shoes along with other ground level objects... I have no doubt that a guinea roo would try and mate your chicken hens. I think it's normal, at least compared with most barnyard fowl behavior. There can be hybrids of these two but I understand it is quite rare. If he isn't distressing the hens or causing physically injury, I wouldn't really worry myself.

I have heard of chickens crossing with guinea fowls but only if they are un a small coop together.

Similarly, a wild pheasant has become a semi-detached member of my flock; genetically they're close enough to breed successfully, but as others have said, it's very rare, unless they are put into a breeding pen together. My roos don't see him as a rival.

Back
Top Bottom