Will a Layer Get Lonely by Herself

PropsToMyPeeps

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 31, 2011
Hello!

I am new to the forum, and to chickens. We just got 4 straight run chics from a local chicken keeper. An Easter Egger (about 2.5 weeks); a Buff Orpington (about 1.5 weeks); a Black Australorp (about 1.5 weeks) & a Silkie (1 week). I wanted a flock of 3 (chicken math has already started) but don't really have room in the coop for more than 5-6. I would love them all to be hens, but knowing my luck they may all be roosters.

With that in mind, a friend of mine suggested that we should get a hen who is laying (or close to starting) for instant & certain egg gratification. Could we get just 1 hen who is laying, or would she be lonely? We would introduce the chics to her & then when they are acclimated we would keep them in the same coop. I worry that she would be unhappy before we could introduce her to the others.

Thank you in advance for any advice!
Heather

Introducing an older hen has issues. Older hens do not appreciate younger chickens and can be cruel to the point of killing them.
I'd wait and see what you have in your little flock. They are all mates and introducing something from the outside is risky, biologically (diseases) and socially. Chickens are extremely social beings with strong pecking orders that govern their little societies.

Don't bother_ raising your own is worth the wait. It is fun and exciting and the flock will bond in to a happy family if they grow up together. you will have egg by late summer and will have a fun surprise in the coop one day. Wait it out.

I'd wait it out. Our chicken breeder suggested only introducing chickens of the same size and the process is so gradual. So, you'd have more work on your hands than if you just wait. This is your time to bond. Don't worry, I'm in the same boat waiting on eggs. They won't be here until July or so.

It's more fun waiting to see who's the male and the female. You can also get to know the chicks better and have them trust you.

Thanks for all of the responses. Waiting was my initial plan and will be the one I stick with. But it's so hard...

Back
Top Bottom