Will a male duck breed with 2 females??

farm316

Songster
9 Years
Jul 28, 2014
Will a male duck breed with the 2 females?? And when we have ducklings we are planning to have the females with their baby's with dad in a big coop, will there be a big fight between moms and there ducklings?? I am wondering if the ducklings will collide with each other, but that might happen

Any Advice>

I have not hatched out ducklings, however plenty on here have and can answer your questions.

I have one drake and four girls. He breeds all four, all day, every day. I wouldn't have less than 4 with my drake as he is rather busy all day with the girls. He is gentle when he breeds but it is constant. Two may not be enough for a drake.

We have at least another 2 coming, which will be in around 2 months or so, so thats a total of 4

I have 9 ducks in all.

I have one Pekin male who is the father of 4 girls with 3 different hens and they all get along great.

Yes a male duck will breed with multiple ducks. You must be careful as your male duck population grows. Drakes may become aggressive toward other males especially in breeding season. They will compete for rights to the females. They may gang rape your hens or drown them in The process. Basic rule of thumb is 1 drake to 3 or more ducks(hen). If problems show up remove extra drakes as soon as possible to keep your flock safe.

Just realized I read this post a little wrong lol. It should be safe to keep the father with the mothers and baby's. He just might try to push for another batch. If he becomes to aggressive about it I would isolate him for the time being.The ducklings will be fine with each other but keep an eye on the mothers just in case they get broody fever - aggressive in a defensive state but this should not be a big problem.

Back
Top Bottom