Will a partridge colour always show sex if not up to standard?

appps

Crowing
11 Years
Aug 29, 2012
Australia
Hope that made sense :)

I had a 3 month old which was originally guessed as rooster but then I discovered it was a partridge colour though not good quality and so the fact it had no red at all on shoulders etc got me hen comments.

Yesterday we were in the kitchen when this commotion started outside and twice in the middle of all the clucking was a strangled sounding crow.

I'm now rethinking sex again :)

Trouble is don't know for sure which one made all the noise but narrowed it down to two including this one.

So if there is partridge colour will it always have the male colouring?

I'll add a photo when I'm not on my phone but its the one in my gallery in the curly and straight version photo

Last edited:
I have never heard of any breed that you can distinguish sex by colour, espesial not the partrige. does the partrige have shiny little feathers? or big tail feathers? small vent? the best way to determine if its a roo is to just isolate it and see if it crows

I have never heard of any breed that you can distinguish sex by colour, espesial not the partrige. does the partrige have shiny little feathers? or big tail feathers? small vent? the best way to determine if its a roo is to just isolate it and see if it crows
You actually can tell lots of genders by color once they fully feather. Black breasted reds, partridge, pure bred barred birds, speckled sussex and laced birds you can usually tell the gender by how the coloring comes in. A solid black breast on a multi-colored bird means male, red on the wings means male, lighter barring means male, white chest on the speckled means male, extra white on the shoulders of a silver laced bird means male, etc.

Back
Top Bottom