will a roo boost laying?

JUROBBINS

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 2, 2008
very southern illinois
hi, i'm new to this whole forum thing and to having chickens. we have 6 hens and 1 young roo. will acquiring an older roo help produce more eggs? 2 hens are a little over a year, 3 are just coming into laying and 1 is about 4 mos. old (same as roo). i am getting 1 lg lgt brwn egg every day and 1 small dk brwn egg about every other evening...but thats it. any ideas? thanks!
hu.gif

One roo can service 10-12 hens, so you should be good in that department. Plus hens don't actually need a rooster in order to lay. They just need one in order for the eggs to be fertile. However, as we move into fall and winter, many breeds slow down or stop laying entirely. It just depends on the breed and the amount of light. Hens need about 14 hours of light to lay.

HTH

Last edited:
thanks, i did understand how the process works, but was given the impression by my sister that they would "do better" if they feel protected, so i needed at least one roo. like i mentioned, my roo is a 4 mos old banty...he's a wee lil man,lol. thanks for tryingto help
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom