Will a rooster breed hens in the winter??

Newchickenguy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 20, 2012
Do roosters breed there hens just in spring or will they breed them year round even in the winter? Will putting the rooster in a lighted coop make him breed his hens in the winter or do they breed them year round, and just more in the spring??

I have experience that mine will breed in the winter, but not as much as in the spring and summer. We keep a heat lamp on most of the time, so I don't know if it has anything to do with that.

Rooster mate all year long Winter or summer.Adding extra light won't make your rooster breed anymore but might make hens lay more.

So if incubate my eggs in the winter they should be fertile as long as my rooster is ok and I don't have too many hens on him. I only have 7 hens. Do you think my eggs will be fertile?

They should be. A rooster will mate anytime a female is available (I will refrain from making comparisons lol). Many people hatch year round. Two of my girls are from a January hatch and my silkie is sitting on a dozen leghorn eggs as we speak.

Thank you Meme I didn't know chickens mated year round. Like my name implies I am new to chickens.

Back
Top Bottom