Will a rooster figure out where water is if his hens know where it is

Bryce Thomas

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
I moved my 3 silkies to an even bigger coop and they are REALLY loving it! They all know where the food is on the treadle feeder is and both hens know where the water is but I have yet to see Koa drink some water. I have done that trick where you push only the beak into the water, I did it 2 times and I have not seen him drink water. Yes they have shade and his poop was not diarrhea so he was not dehydrated I just need to make sure that he knows where the water is, im sure that the hens will show him where it is but Koa is a little bit stubborn sometimes. Any help would be appreciated

I recently raised the feeder and I was worried that they didn't know how to eat. It took a while for them to get used to. One of them found it and ate from it and the others saw her eating and copied.
He should be okay but If he shows signs of dehydration, you can put a little dog bowl of water in there and it will be easier to find.

Attachments

• IMG-20210527-WA0012.jpeg
    IMG-20210527-WA0012.jpeg
    506 KB · Views: 6
I moved my 3 silkies to an even bigger coop and they are REALLY loving it! They all know where the food is on the treadle feeder is and both hens know where the water is but I have yet to see Koa drink some water. I have done that trick where you push only the beak into the water, I did it 2 times and I have not seen him drink water. Yes they have shade and his poop was not diarrhea so he was not dehydrated I just need to make sure that he knows where the water is, im sure that the hens will show him where it is but Koa is a little bit stubborn sometimes. Any help would be appreciated
He will probably find the water just fine from watching the hens.
It sounds like this is not a new style of waterer, just a new coop so the water is in a new place, right?

(If you are switching from a trough or dish to a nipple waterer, you might need to do some extra teaching with him.)

I've had to give my guy lee his own water. I added him a couple days ago and the group of hens he was added to are being mean to him. He knew where the water was but they wouldn't let him near it so it's always wise to observe. How was he drinking before this..?

He will probably find the water just fine from watching the hens.
It sounds like this is not a new style of waterer, just a new coop so the water is in a new place, right?

(If you are switching from a trough or dish to a nipple waterer, you might need to do some extra teaching with him.)
yeah its all the same just a new coop

Back
Top Bottom