Will adding light to hen house effect laying times?

tcal

Songster
11 Years
Dec 31, 2008
Sweet Home Alabama
They lay between 9:30 and 10:00 like clockwork but I added a light today for heat since there are some cold days coming. I got to thinking about their laying time. Will this effect it?

No it won't affect the TIME they lay, but it will help how often they lay. If you have any that have slowed down for the season they may start laying again within a week or so.

I have a friend that turns his lights on at 2:00AM. His chickens are not pets however and when the slow down he just hatches more and eats those that slow down..he treats his chickens well but they are just stock..His are mostly Golden comet and they dont slow down at all..With the light on at 2:00Am his lay the same year round..

yes it could/might.. because of the length of time exposed to iight change..

now my question is. what if it does change ?? what difference will it make??

Usually, my hens lay in the morning but I have had some lay in the nest as late as 8 PM.

It is now dark at 4 PM. Without the light, would they be dropping the egg 4 hours after climbing on the roost?

The difference that an 11 watt light bulb makes is that I have more eggs than without the light, I'm sure. At this time of the year and in my location, the hens would be roosting for 16 hours out of every 24. With the light, I need to check for eggs late since they are likely to freeze if left overnight. There is no heat in the coop.

Steve

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom