Will airlines let you fly with eggs in your carry-on?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lceh, Sep 14, 2009.

1. lceh

lceh Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Virginia
    I wasn't sure where to post this. My daughter and I are flying to visit my brother and sister-in-law and she'd love to bring some of her bantys' eggs to them just for fun (these are her first chickens). Will the FAA let you bring eggs on the plane, or is there some problem with that? I just remember the last time I flew when you couldn't even have a water bottle, and I hate the thought of carefully packing the eggs only to be forced to break them in front of a security guard to prove they're not a threat.
    Anyone ever try this? Or are they better off in checked baggage?

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    On m recent flight they had loosened things up quite a bit. You could carry on more fluids in your hand carry stuff and they were a lot more lenient with those with babies and breakable items. They just had to be sure they fit in the bin or the overhead. I'd go early enough to ask if you can hand carry them and explain that they can't go through the X Ray machine, you can ask for bags and such to be hand searched but with prior warning.

3. AmyBella

AmyBella Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Western MA
    I have food allergies that make it hard to eat while travelling. I always bring hard-boiled eggs with me and I have never had a problem. And Writer makes a good point... if he is going to hatch them they shouldn't go through the x-ray machine! It is probably safer to hand-carry them than put in the luggage.

Have a great trip!

4. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I can't imagine why you would not be allowed to carry-on eggs. Here is a link to TSA and what they do and don't allow:
    http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

AmyBella makes a good point -- if the eggs are intended to be hatched they ought not go through the x-ray machine. Who knows where TSA stands on not x-raying items -- sometimes common sense prevails, sometimes not.

Be sure to package them really well, but make it so they can be easily unwrapped for inspection.

It sounds like a fun thing to share with your family and how thrilled is your daughter to show off her eggs. i hope you are able to take them through.

Jenny

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  5. lceh

lceh Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Virginia
    These eggs are just for eating, not hatching, so I assume the X-ray is not a problem...am I right?

Thanks to you all for your quick responses!

6. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    I would think you would be able to call the Airline before you arrive so that you can ask this question. I doubt they'd have a problem with it but what do I know? That way you can either leave the eggs in someone's care while you are gone, or you can bring them, but you know before hand. HTH. [​IMG] and I hope you DO get to bring them, that's really sweet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by