Will an aproned chicken tractor keep out weasels?

My objection to the chickshaw is that it this system only works if you will ABSOLUTELY WITHOUT FAIL be there to open it up at the crack of dawn every single day of the year no matter what. It's not really a coop at all -- just a predator-secure roost -- and there is zero flex available if something goes wrong.

I'd consider it something for the experienced, full-time homesteaders only -- not for someone who has a job, a family with a lot of activities, etc. :)
The coops I inherited are quite similar once wheels were added. Luckily I'm a morning person on career sabbatical.

Before I got chickens, I thought a tractor would be ideal for me. Once I got chickens, I thought a chickshaw. After having them awhile I've decided to build a 6x8 trailer coop. I'd like DH and I to visit family together more often and 3 hours one way is not a pleasant daytrip.

Thanks everyone for your patience as I continue to consider all of the excellent input. It's so helpful to hear each of your perspectives and input on netting and mobility, and amount of land. @MadGardener , thanks for so much detail about your own story and evolution of thought, it gives me a great reference point.

I'm taking your initial recommendations to heart with the larger style tractors. I'm starting a new thread on the topic, so others can more easily find the discussion....
See you there I hope. Thanks again!

View attachment 3071141
Honestly, I'd lose the focus on square/rectangular walls and try to replace the whole "run" section of the build with halved cattle/livestock panels to further reduce weight. An almost 8' length makes an arch 5' wide, 2 1/2' tall. Two sections provide almost exactly 8' in length, with a bit of overlap - and combine to 40 sq ft.
Now you can use a little heavier board, with corner reinforcement as the base at similar weight, for a sturdier build which will be less prone to pulling apart with repeat movements. Its the last 4' section, with the coop portion, I haven't "solved" yet in my head. A press brake to bend a third cattle panel would be pretty awesome, honestly, for creating that structure, then count on the front and back, a suspended floor to add rigidity.

Or so my thoughts currently lean. (Crudely)
View attachment 3071186
@U_Stormcrow - here is what I came up with:

IMG_20221010_101506_870.jpg

IMG_20221010_101524_950.jpg

I'm also trying to figure out the best way to apron it. My current plan is to plop it down on top of some basic welded wire fencing. I'm hoping that would sufficiently keep out skunks, raccoons, dogs, coyote and the like.

The big coop/run is 100% hardware cloth. But, since this gets moved regularly, I'm hoping the cheaper / lighter weight stuff will work.

Back
Top Bottom