Will an inground pool be a problem?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by navychick, Jun 19, 2011.

1. navychick

navychick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Our pool is in a fenced in area in our back yard. Our coop will also be in the back yard. While we will have an enclosed run we'd like to let them wander a bit each day. If they hop or squeeze through the fence will they avoid the water or be attracted to it? Anyone have a chicken drown in their pool?

2. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    we have a pool and they are not interested in it or its smelly ( to them) water. so far so good.

3. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    We also have an inground pool - was worried about it as they can get to it if they want to, but they've been around it for over a year and so far they show no interest in going anywhere near it, even on the hottest of days. Not sure why. The chlorine, maybe?

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Chickens will drown if they are in water long enough to get their feathers soaked, as they will then sink, so their instinct is apparently to steer clear of a body of water. (I wish i could get mine to stand in a shallow pan of water in this heat.) I think the only real danger is if they get startled badly enough to cause them to try to fly, fall in the pool, and be unable to get back out. I've seen a video on Youtube of someone throwing a chicken in the pool -- [​IMG] It was able to get to the side and out.

5. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    My chickens poo around the intex pool and drink from the pond,so those are the only issues I can think off. I was worried one might climb the pool ladder,but thankfully no one has. The poo in the places I don't want is the worst and making me want to build a coop in the far backyard to keep them from our play areas.

6. jaybob54

jaybob54 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2010
    My chickens and ducks didn't even touch the water. Im surprised because my ducks didn't go in it
    and they love water. WARNING!! do not put ducks or geese in a pool because the clorine will kill them.

7. jason_boivin

jason_boivin Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2010
    Newport News, VA
    Yes chlorine will kill anything. But as a maintenance man for apartment communities one of my biggest issues is ducks in the pool. They like it there as theres no predators. We have a pond and a pool. The ducks prefer the clean pool water over the pond. I think the ducks know not to drink it. Never found any dead ducks.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  8. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    we had a chicken drown in the ducks wading pool.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by