Will (Ancona) ducks lay their eggs in their house?

wordgirl

One of the Shire-folk
12 Years
Apr 14, 2009
I would love to have some ducks, but I was wondering if they lay their eggs in their own house or if they will lay them everywhere or determinedly OUTSIDE? I would like to be able to gather their eggs for selling or eating, and it would be annoying if I never really got any.

Thanks
smile.png

My first two years, the ducks lay their eggs wherever the heck they felt like. This year, I added some partitions to make cozy alcoves for them in the corners of the house, and--most importantly--added golf balls to each nesting area. The young ones still tend to lay their eggs wherever they happen to be, but they get better and better constantly at laying in their nesting areas--the older ones are very consistent.

Mine do not like a specific nest but they have one corner inside that they choose to lay in...so I just make sure there is extra straw in that corner for them. But I have only had one girl lay her first egg outside.

we have 3 sections in the duck night pen.. I put golf balls in each one when I noticed the girls starting to lay... they finaly decided on the left one and layed eggs there just about every day.. occasionally one in yard after let out.. Daisy did for a short time in spring try hiding some and we thought would go broody. but she's not old enough.. she is still laying in the left one.. I took the golf balls out shortly after they started laying permenately in the nest.. I also leave an egg in the nest sometimes to encourge her to keep laying there,, I pick it up the next day with the next one.. Oh wooden eggs work good too. just have to clean them every so often..

Back
Top Bottom