Will any white egg layers lay in winter without light?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ThiefPouter06, Feb 16, 2009.

1. ThiefPouter06

ThiefPouter06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    green co. KY
    I have read that polish stop laying in winter. Do leghorns quit as well? I do not light my henhouse in the winter.

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Most first year layers will lay on and off in the winter. As they get older they tend to stop laying in the winter to get ready for the big spring lay.

3. jkg

jkg Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2009
    AZ
    We have one leghorn. Other than around her molt, she has laid 6-7 eggs per week all winter. Granted - our winters here aren't much of a winter with our coldest month still averaging highs around 62F and lows around 40F with our shortest days near 10 hrs of light. I recently added a light in the coop to try to spur on our other two chickens (barred rock and americana), but those two are still slackers. Our other chickens haven't reaced egg laying age yet.

4. allisonwonderland

allisonwonderland New Egg

Feb 16, 2009
    i have white leghorns and they will lay about 2-4 eggs a week without a light but since it gets dark later they have been laying about 5-6 days a week

5. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

My first year California Whites (Leghorn crosses) give me 5-6 eggs a week with no lighting, and we have had some very cold weather here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by