1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will babies not lay eggs until spring?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by donnap1967, Jul 28, 2008.

1. donnap1967

donnap1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    I have four 5 week old silkies and 6 two week old various standard chicks. They won't be of laying age until winter. Since they don't normally lay over the winter, does that mean we won't get eggs until Spring '09?

2. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I've heard silkies can take a long time to start laying [​IMG]

Chickens will start to lay over the winter, anyway mine do.

3. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    I was just wondering this today too! I read that it takes about 6 months for birds to start to lay. I got my older layers in June...so since six months gets me to December, am I actually waiting until spring? should i use heating/lighting to extend "fall"?

4. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    Chickens are affected by the lenth of the day. If you want to have your chickens lay in the short days of winter you can supplement their light at each end of the day. I understand that all you need is a 40 watt bulb. My chickens usually lay in the winter anyway, just not as frequently. And the younger hens are more likely to keep laying. My henhouse also gets a lot of light, we used translucent roofing. Also living in California our chickens can go outside nearly every day in the winter and get fresh greens.
    I let mine have the rest in order to recuperate their bodies, but I can understand your desire for eggs from your young ones.

5. donnap1967

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    I am more curious and excited about the egg laying. I don't mind waiting because I am enjoying just spending time with the chicks, but it will be exciting waiting for the first eggs.

I won't be able to run any electric to my coop so I guess I will just wait and see.

Thanks for the tips and info! [​IMG]

6. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    I am wondering if it would be SAFE to run a 50 ft. heavy duty extention cord ( for extra lighting ) from the house to the chicken coop . I would say its about 30 ft.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Winter didn't stop my girls from laying - but I don't have silkies. Not sure if that HELPS or not...

8. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

We have what you call a daylight light in our hen house so the hens can have 14 hours of daylight and they lay right through winter that way [​IMG] Good luck! HOpe your silkies lay all winter for you!

9. donnap1967

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    Thank you [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by