Will babies not lay eggs until spring?

donnap1967

Songster
11 Years
Mar 15, 2008
Northern NJ
I have four 5 week old silkies and 6 two week old various standard chicks. They won't be of laying age until winter. Since they don't normally lay over the winter, does that mean we won't get eggs until Spring '09?

I've heard silkies can take a long time to start laying
smile.png

Chickens will start to lay over the winter, anyway mine do.

I was just wondering this today too! I read that it takes about 6 months for birds to start to lay. I got my older layers in June...so since six months gets me to December, am I actually waiting until spring? should i use heating/lighting to extend "fall"?

Chickens are affected by the lenth of the day. If you want to have your chickens lay in the short days of winter you can supplement their light at each end of the day. I understand that all you need is a 40 watt bulb. My chickens usually lay in the winter anyway, just not as frequently. And the younger hens are more likely to keep laying. My henhouse also gets a lot of light, we used translucent roofing. Also living in California our chickens can go outside nearly every day in the winter and get fresh greens.
I let mine have the rest in order to recuperate their bodies, but I can understand your desire for eggs from your young ones.

I am more curious and excited about the egg laying. I don't mind waiting because I am enjoying just spending time with the chicks, but it will be exciting waiting for the first eggs.

I won't be able to run any electric to my coop so I guess I will just wait and see.

Thanks for the tips and info!
smile.png

I am wondering if it would be SAFE to run a 50 ft. heavy duty extention cord ( for extra lighting ) from the house to the chicken coop . I would say its about 30 ft.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom