Will be adding chickens with ducks

who likes duck eggs over chicken?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

muscovy573

Chirping
Dec 21, 2016
Hey all,

I love my Muscovy’s and I love the duck eggs soooo much more than the chicken eggs, buuutttt my girlfriend and her family WONT eat them. Pretty much, I’m being forced to add chickens lol. I know, I know chickens are great, but I have 10 ducks and wanting to add 5-7 chickens. I already feed my ducks a 16% All Flock Feed by Country Lane and some corn during the winter. Both get soaked. Do I need to get a higher % feed?? Add oyster shells? Birds will be free ranged so they’ll have access to bugs and other natural diet stuff. Anything I need to know besides feed? Also Any suggested brands if I am to change?

I have chickens and ducks together. I have been feeding an All Flock feed and then I have started putting oyster shells out on the side, everyone seems happy and healthy (mine also free range for several hours most days). The only issue I haven't fully resolved is the water one. I have not had the best luck figuring out how to water the chickens in a way that they ducks cannot get to it and muck it up. Right now it isn't such an issue because we have our seasonal creek, but in summer it seems to be a constant thing I am having to work on.

I have chickens and ducks together. I have been feeding an All Flock feed and then I have started putting oyster shells out on the side, everyone seems happy and healthy (mine also free range for several hours most days). The only issue I haven't fully resolved is the water one. I have not had the best luck figuring out how to water the chickens in a way that they ducks cannot get to it and muck it up. Right now it isn't such an issue because we have our seasonal creek, but in summer it seems to be a constant thing I am having to work on.

I too have a a creek the ducks LOVE. I offer three large waters for them as well. I just change water EVERY morning and night. They’ll have to live with a little dirty water till i get off work lol

You can use a horizontal nipple waterer for the chickens, but they'll still go for the manky duck water. They'll drink out of a nasty puddle rather than their clean waterer. That's just how they are, lol.

Make a PVC watering system
08DAACB1-5538-4077-B441-5FAFFCA92719.jpeg
I just made a u shape, used the water nipples, (available at feed stores, etc.). It keeps my ducks out of the water so that my chickens can have fresh water. I also used PVC for my feeders too.
D3A00772-D28A-49D4-92FF-B2424263B2C9.jpeg
I attached a basket at the bottom, and fill from top.
Good luck :frow

You can use a horizontal nipple waterer for the chickens, but they'll still go for the manky duck water. They'll drink out of a nasty puddle rather than their clean waterer. That's just how they are, lol.
We used the horizontal nipple waterers with a mixed flock, too...and found that the Muscovy were also drinking from the nipple waterers! :D

Back
Top Bottom