Will broody sit ANOTHER 3 weeks?

Shrader

Songster
12 Years
Apr 7, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
So I had my broody hen sitting in the coop on the fertile eggs I had bought for her.
The other day, I came home from work and she was actually sitting on the wrong eggs.
She had moved at some point during the day -- off her fertile eggs and onto some of the non-fertiles that her sisters laid.
The fertile eggs by this point were stone cold, so I assume they're all dead (please correct me if that's wrong).
So I ordered ANOTHER set of fertile eggs (since she's still sitting), moved her into her own little broody coop (so she won't get confused) and now I'm starting back at day 1.
Will she sit broody for another 3 weeks?
Or will she assume these eggs are bad and abandon them?
Thanks.

The original ones may not have been dead, I've had hens get up and come back hours later to a cold clutch of eggs and they still hatch..sometimes I have found cold eggs in the mornings that have rolled out of the nest during the night and put them back under her ...I've also had hens set for 21 day on air, give them eggs and they will set another 21....make sure she doesn't lose too much weight and has plenty of food and water close for her....

Thanks Tuffold. That's good to know.
I left the original batch under her, just in case.
And tomorrow is day 21, so we'll see...
In the meantime, she does have plenty of water and food in her new little broody coop.
And I've been spoon-feeding her yogurt, meal worms, sunflower seeds and grapes -- just to make sure she's eating something.

Back
Top Bottom