will cement blocks replace burying wire?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by greenguys, May 18, 2009.

1. greenguys

greenguys Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2009
    here's our coop. The blocks in front are all along the backside. Will stepping stones along the fence do any good or do I have to start digging a trench?
    [​IMG]
    we've only ever seen possum in the yard but have no idea if anything else is around. We're in the middle of the city in Nashville and the backyard is also fenced in.

Greg

2. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    An average sized coon un provoked will pick those things up and chuck em at ya LOL. Provoked they will throw them left or right handed. They can for sure dig under those things. I think you better start digging. I had a lot of success with just bending the hardware cloth out at a 90 degree angle from the fence for about 24 inches. The grass quickly grows up and you cant even see it. You can mow right over the top of it

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I, too, have an apron of welded wire around the exterior of my run and nothing has tried to dig under it. The stones pictured are probably not going to deter any serious predators. I've seen folks talking about using concrete pavers around the perimeter, but I think the pavers were much larger/heavier. You may think you only have possums, but chances are you also have skunks and raccoons, not to mention dogs and cats (stray or otherwise). Your fence may stop most of those, but raccoons are scarily smart, persistent, and scale fences easily. Those are the predators you need to worry about.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by