Will chickens always fight?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by itgns, Nov 11, 2013.

1. itgns

itgns Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2013
    Central California
    My flock is at 9 weeks and I was just wondering if they are always going to be picking fights with one another and chasing each other around. Or do they eventually settle down? They've all been together since hatching. Well, except for one who was added at about three weeks.

2. Peplers chicks

Peplers chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Lol, it depends on the bloodline they come from, but the roosters most of the time like to show who is the boss, even the hen's tends to show off

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    They aren't fighting, per se, but playing and figuring out how to be adult chickens. Just like puppies wrestle, kittens pounce and colts fight and race.

They are also figuring out their pecking order. That's one of the most important facets of chicken life to a chicken.

They will calm down. They may always peck each other a bit sometimes, as they remind lower-order flockmates to stay in their place.

Roosters don't fight all the time, either. When you have more than one, they may spar a bit at first to figure out who is stronger, but then they will pretty much ignore each other as long as you have enough hens to go around and enough space to stay out of each others' way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by