Will chickens fly into a window?

labhaven

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 6, 2009
Syracuse, NY
I'm putting the finishing touches on my coop. Their roost is about 6-7 feet away from a 3'x3' window. Should I be covering the window with wire mesh? I'm wondering if they are going to try to fly into the window and break it and get hurt. The window has dividers so its not one big pane of glass.

We have two windows with panes in them about 4 feet off of the floor, and also the coop door has panes in it - none of ours have ever flown into the glass that we know of. They have flown into the wire a couple of times when they were spooked though.

I think the dividers in it will help them know it's not something they can fly through. My little ones do occationally run into my pop door, which is a really heavy duty type of plexiglass stuff...lol. I need to paint and X or something on it so they can see it better when it's closed.

Thank you! I've decided tonite is the night for the chicks to move into their new home. They are getting restless and a little loud in the house! I don't want to startle them with power tools making too many changes to the coop after they are in it. The looks I got when my cell phone rang! I can just imagine their reaction to a saw or drill!
lol.png

Quote:
Would their reaction look something like this???
D.gif
or this
ep.gif
or this
hide.gif
??? lol

redhawk...mine have flown into the wire at time or two as well...on their hardware cloth screened porch area...lol I don't even think they were spooked...

I assume this is a non-openable window?

I would still put at least *something* there, doesn't need to be small mesh necessarily, partly to cushion chickens' impact (mine have flown into the window in my one pen) but also so that if the window should get broken it is not a big chicken-escaping predator-letting-in hole in the wall.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

I had to put a masking tape grid on my window in my new coop (on my BYC page) for a few days until they learned that it was not an exit. They were very confused and a banty was near panic when they couldn't get out that way. They've learned what a window is now.

ha... chickens are so nosey.. we have been putting an addition to the coop on and you can hardly use the equipment! they are sooooo in the way.. he uses the generator for his nail guns and they come running to watch.. he put insulation in the walls and they all hopped on it and nested.. he had to keep shooing them out of the area.. when he put shingles on the roof there they were right up there with him.. i can't believe even the electric saw didn't spook them.. they were under foot the whole time lol

Yes, they can do that especially if spooked. I have a huge window in front of my main roost. On the inside, we put a frame with hardware cloth over it and hinged it at the top, with locks on either side at the bottom. Then, if they fly into the window, they'll just bounce off the wire screen we made and we can leave the window open, even though it's near the ground since it's predator proof.

Back
Top Bottom