Will chickens sleep at night with a light on?

donnavee

Crowing
13 Years
May 7, 2009
Hillsborough NC
I have a red heat lamp in the coop that I turn on during the day if the weather is really cold. I always turn it off right before the chickens go to roost so they are used to sleeping without any additional light. Yesterday evening DH and I were going out for the evening so I made sure the chickens were in the secure run before we left, but forgot to turn off the light. When we got home around 9pm, they were all on the roost, but wide awake. I turned off the light and I swear, it seemed like they sighed with relief! So, I'm wondering - would they have just stayed awake all night if I hadn't turned off the light? I kept a red light on them day and night when they were chicks and they slept whenever.

It is fine to leave the light on all night. I do. They go to sleep just like the light was off. And I'm pretty sure some of the hens lay eggs at NIGHT, too!!! LOL!! Because no matter how early I go out there there are always at least 10 eggs awaiting me! lol

I've had a 100 watt bulb in the coop for about 2 months now and the only time i turned it has been off was when the bulb burned out.. Only stayed for for about an hour before i changed the bulb again.. My chickens roost and sleep just fine.. Their roosting time and run time seem to be more scheduled around the actual daylight than the light bulb.. I know it don't put a whole lot of heat in the coop but on 20 degree nights, it stays a bit warmer than outside so it's worth it to me.. Helps with egg production too!

Goddess
jumpy.gif

lol i wouldent worry about forgetting to turn it off just dont turn them into battery hens therelife expectancy drasticly lowers and so dose the egg yild per yer
lol forgetting to turn the light off
gig.gif

iv done worse forggeting to close the door !

Last edited:
Mine prefer a little bit of light. Its very warm in the room I have the brooder in so dont need the heat lamp constantly. But they seem to fall asleep better if I leave a nightlight on?

My hens go crazy if I go down and turn on the light after they are at roost! It is like it totally confuses them! One local elder says to just leave the light to nature and don't mess up their natural schedule. After a few times of disoriented & testy hens, I decided I won't be down there in the dark unless the dogs go crazy b/c something is in there.

My hens are out at the light of day and in at dusk like clock work. I can almost tell time by them.

Back
Top Bottom