Will chickens use wider roost if their feet are cold on narrow roost?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MadChickensVT, Jan 2, 2012.

1. MadChickensVT

MadChickensVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Middlebury, Vermont
    My coop has multiple roosts. One is a two-by-four on it's side, 8ft long. Another is a piece of pine about 2inches wide, and approx 6ft long. The other roosting spot is the 1" boards keeping the wood chips from falling out the door, they're in a u-shape around the doorway.

We're about to have our first below-zero cold snap. I'm wondering if the chickens are roosting on the narrow boards and their feet get cold if they'll be smart enough to go use a wider roost? Or should I make sure all possible roost are wide enough?

Thanks

2. RedfogsFlock

RedfogsFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Wittmann, AZ
    You would hope so. My girls, when it starts getting cold, I find my girls sit IN the wood chips and not on their roosts at all. Thats when I know its time for me to bring them in. BUT thats me, and I bring mine in when its cold only because I have that option. =_

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    2 x 4 perches seems to do pretty good. I would never bring them in because they all huddle in the bedding. Its the best place to be when it is extremely cold and bedding is very warm to them.

I don't believe in heating coops either.

4. MadChickensVT

MadChickensVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Middlebury, Vermont
    I have two new bundles of wood chips that I was planning on putting in the coop the day before it's supposed to get really cold to have them be as dry as possible.

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Seeing the breeds you have, cold is not going to be a problem for them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by