Will chickens wade in a puddle of water?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MareeZoCool, May 30, 2011.

1. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

I've noticed my chickens are hiding from the sun. Would they enjoy a puddle of water? I could easily dig a small area in my garden and add 2" of water ( soil is heavy with 75% clay.) Water will stay in the hole for 5- 10 minutes.

2. rivers2011

rivers2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    Port Perry, ON
    i remember reading on other threads that some people noticed their chickens standing in a shallow pan of water on very hot days.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    My chickens love puddles of water. I have large pans in their yards that I keep filled with cool water and they have shade. I also spray water under their shade tables to make it damp and cooler for them. They like to wade in the pans of water. In the bottom picture I used a plastic storage box that goes under a bed. Also I have a sprinkler I turn on for awhile in the afternoon when it is the hottest and the chicken get under it and scratch around. I live in Florida and it has been in the 90's here already for the last couple of months.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    My free range birds will actively forage in water that is 3" deep so long as it is clear. Items they consume are right at water's surface.

5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    This might explain why one of my hens was standing in the water bucket--a plastic dish pan DH uses for camping trips.

6. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    My chickens like to walk in the shallow water around my pond when it's hot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by