Will chicks be okay with a doghouse for temporary coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by georgialee, May 11, 2009.

1. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    We have an insane number of plastic doghouses and an insane number of chicks leaving dust EVERYWHERE in our house. The chicks range from 2 - 4 weeks. Would it work to set up one doghouse with shavings, etc. and see if I can rig a roost in there? I would find a way to get the heat lamp out there as well - probably shining in from the top corner of the opening. We need to wait a couple of weeks until we build a coop b/c one of his cutomers said we could take any leftovers from the house he's framing... which may be a lot since they're higher-end houses. Just wondering if the doghouse would work in a temporary situation.

Oh, I forgot to say that the doghouse would go under our house (our house overhangs the foundation 27" in the back of the house. Why? I have no clue, lol!) so it would stay dry even if it rained. We would also cover part of the run. The run would be 10x10 to start and then once we get the coop built we can just add more panels (we're using chain-link kennel pannels). Thanks for any input!

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  2. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Sure, why not? Just as long as they are ventalated, which i am sure they are. There is a guy on this forum that converted a wood dog house and it houses 2 chickens. REALLY CUTE!

When they are younger you could probally fit more per box. They have a door that locks so they would be safe!! I say GO FOR IT!

Post some pic's of your lil cuties

3. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    My 4 grown chickens sleep in a wood dog house that has had ventilation holes drilled in the sides (top) and a door added to it, so we can keep them safe at night. They roost on an upside down plastic crate.
    My older chicks sleep in a barn-style plastic dog house inside our tractor. I have a piece of 2 X 4 secured in the middle for them to roost on but they prefer to sleep on the floor of it. There is no door on it but it is inside the welded wire tractor so I think they're pretty safe. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by