1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will chicks hatched in May/June lay in the fall?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenchok, Feb 13, 2009.

1. chickenchok

chickenchok Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2008
    North Carolina
    I was wondering if anyone has experience w/ chicks hatched in May or June... will they begin laying in the fall?
    Thank you!

2. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Been there done that as they say...we had one set that was hatched at the end of May and a second set hatched the end of June. The began laying in Nov. and Dec. [​IMG]

3. poltroon

poltroon Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2008
    California (North Coast)
    Ours did as well. Born May 19, started laying in November.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  4. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I got RIRs hatched in late June and started laying in mid November. I think it depends on the breed.

5. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Mine started laying in the middle of dec to jan. Some breeds though might wait until spring if your in the north unless you put them under lights. I have some penedesenca x welsummers that I'm still waiting on. Haven't seen a brown egg yet.

6. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

My first group were born Memorial Day weekend and started laying in October, which was earlier than I had expected. (Since it was my first ones, and I didn't have BYC, I didn't know the signs.) They were assorted large fowl.

7. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

My golden comet was born around may 15, 2008, and was laying well by the end of september.

8. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    A few of mine started laying in Dec. that were hatched in May. I didn't have much luck with that. Getting an earlier start this year. [​IMG]

9. chickenchok

chickenchok Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2008
    North Carolina
    Thank you, everyone, for your prompt and helpful replies! This really helps us in deciding whether to order then or not! You are an awesome group!
    [​IMG]

10. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

I had 6 hatched in July that all started laying in December, except for one that started laying in January. So I would say hatched in June, start laying in November, hatched in May, start laying in October. Rough estimates, of course, depending on the breed and individual chickens. Good luck with your chickens! Genie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by