Will cockerel mount pullet while she's laying?

CoconutCoffee

Songster
Oct 27, 2021
Eastern NC
I have a roughly 5 1/2 month pullet who has started to lay. She's in the coop now but I saw the 6 month old cockerel in there with her sorta staring like he was gonna try to mount her so I kicked him out and closed the door for the time being. The rooster with them has been doing a better job at keeping him in line. Maybe he was just curious but I worry about him taking opportunities when he sees them. Has anyone had a cockerel try to mount a female while she's laying an egg? I don't want to risk any kind of injury in general and especially not an egg breaking inside of her because of an over zealous teen. I haven't seen any signs of this happening so far though

In reality most cockerels will try to breed a pullet/hen whenever the opportunity presents itself. I would guess the possibility of him causing an egg to break unless he was excessively larger than the pullet/hen.

In reality most cockerels will try to breed a pullet/hen whenever the opportunity presents itself. I would guess the possibility of him causing an egg to break unless he was excessively larger than the pullet/hen.
He's bigger but not excessively so.
I have seen cockerels mate a sick pullet who could barely stand, a broody hen sitting on her babies, and oblivious pullets trying to eat. Cockerels will try anything in my opinion.
Yeah, this is why I've generally tried to avoid having cockerels. I didn't want to deal with crazy hormones. In the past I've had one cockerel at most with older hens and a rooster to keep him in line.

Back
Top Bottom