Will drakes kill ducklings?

I also have a qusetion i have 3 ducklings i raised my self now they are out side with the other ducks but in a separate pin but they're both connected to each other and they can still see each other but just separated my baby ducks are now four months old and my Drake continuously tries to bite them through the fence and when I let them out together he goes up and tries to attack them more or less rape them or Mount them like he does his females I'm not sure what his intentions were but I know I normally stop. To that real fast please is there anyone out there who have any suggestions to help them get along better or what to do should I separate my Drake from the rest of them but then he would be alone is that bad to do even though he can still see the others or what

Does anyone here know how muscovy dads are in general with their babies? He is inseparable from his one girl and has been a little down since she is sitting on her nest all day now. I felt bad for her so I let her keep 2 eggs to hatch. But he is in their house at night alone with her and I'm scared he will kill the babies when they hatch...

Not as much as a broody hen would.
I've seen it in my flock. One hen with a fresh hatch attacked a brood from an incubator I use. She did not like the foreign ducklings at all in her way.

Drakes can be unpredictable so use some type of fencing so he can still see his mate and ducklings but wait till the ducklings can go outside with mama before introductions. Then inside still keep them separated by fencing of so kind. My Muscovy drake leaves mama and ducklings alone when they are all out and inside mama and ducklings have their own bedroom using lattice and plastic fencing to keep ducklings in with mama while they are inside.

In my experience, it depends on the drake. I had one drake that was very aggressive with ducklings... So he was kept seperate always. My other drake was sweet as could be with ducklings. So I'd play it safe, keep drakes away completely for probly 3 weeks or so, until you are 100% sure that you can trust drake. Good luck.
Thanks! I think my drakes killed duckling last night. So sad…. 😥

Our pair of Blue Swede cross have grown up together. She is laying on a large nest of 20 eggs, and moves this nest completely (all the eggs, and the entire nest) a foot or so, every week. Is this normal? It's been about a month. And, my hubby is afraid that our very assertive drake may kill the ducklings when they hatch. So far, his assertive behaviour is limited to pecking our feet that are wearing black or brown shoes, and aggressively mounting the girl when she leaves her nest to join me for a walk, for excersize and then she goes for a swim/preening bath . He does not chase her off the nest to mate, as far as I can tell.

Drakes can be unpredictable. I’d separate until ducklings are at least 2-3 weeks old where he can see them and mama but can’t get to them. Then you’ll have to supervise when letting mama and ducklings out to make sure he is behaving himself. I usually go for 3 weeks before letting my mama and duckling have free range time with my adult ducks, chickens and geese. And yes they are pretty nutty when brooding and will move nest and eggs.

Back
Top Bottom