Will ducks crossbreed????????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by beebiz, Aug 11, 2007.

1. beebiz

beebiz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2007
    W. Tennessee
    I tried a question quite similar to this one in another post and got no response. Might have been a bad choice for the subject line......

If kept in the same pen, will adult Pekins and adult Muscovies crossbreed??

If that sounds like a dumb question, I'm sorry. I am new enough to ducks that I just don't know...... sorry!

Thanks

2. Chickenlover88

Chickenlover88 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2007
    Dallas, Georgia
    They will crossbreed but the resulting birds are called mules and aren't fertile (meaning they can't have babies of their own)

3. beebiz

beebiz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2007
    W. Tennessee
    Thanks for the reply!!

4. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

Beebiz is absolutely right; and ducks will try to breed with almost anything on their level (of height, that is). Mr.Flapper is a well-known Pekin with a small harem of Muscovies and friends, you should check out all the great pics. [​IMG]

5. featherfeet

featherfeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    I have read that my ancona drake and white crested hen should breed but we haven't seen any action...? any thoughts? they are 7 months old.

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You should note it is the muscovy cross that makes the mule. I don't think any of the other crosses have the same fertility issues.

7. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    Yea only muscovey crosses are steril. Other ducks can cross breed and they wil be fertile .

I was told and read in some books that if a male muscovey breeds with a muscovey hen that he will never breed with any other breed of duck . I dont know if that is true . Like i said a farmer told me that and i read it in a few books i have so i duno how true that is

8. PFHEthan

PFHEthan Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2014
    Dade City
    What do you get if a white layer and a pekin cross?

Thanks in advance!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by